Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:35 PM
Subject: Canadian reinforcement

Does anyone (Canadian) know if there are rebars in smaller diameters than 10M for use in hoops ?  I am doing a design with diagonal reinforcement in a coupling beam.  The last (and coincidentally the first) time I did this, I specified large diagonal bars to reduce the number, and 10M hoops, and there was a little too much steel in the region.  This time, I am going to use smaller bars, and if possible, 1/4" hoops.
The longitudinal bars must be weldable grade G30.18 (400)W, (Chapter 21), but I don't believe this restriction applies logically to the hoops. If there is no 1/4" Canadian bar available to G30.18, then I would be forced to use an equivalent US bar, heaven forbid.

Kevin Below