From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: stainless steel tie rod bracing

When 2 materials made of stainless are in contact under pressure, there are
small localized areas that tend to bond or seize.  After enough force is
applied to overcome that bonding, the surface tears slightly.  That is what
I have been taught to be galling.

That is why threaded stainless steel parts should have an anti-seizing
compound applied.  That compound is generally a graphite material in an
alcohol vehicle.  Neolube is one such anti-seizing compound.

Regards,
Harold Sprague