Re: Knee Brace Literature

Dear Jeremy White,

            To avoid moment connection at the beam-column junction, knee bracing may be provided, if space is available for the same. Some of the basic points regarding knee bracing are listed below which may be helpful to you :

1)        Knee bracings should be modeled in the Space Frame Model.

2)        Moment at the beam-column junction may be released partially or fully. Knee bracings are to be designed accordingly.

3)        Due to vertical loads, knee bracing will be under Compression. However, due to lateral loads, knee bracing may be under compression or tension, depending upon the direction of the lateral load. Hence, knee bracing and its connection with the beam-column are to be designed for Compressive load as well as for tensile loads.

4)        In the beam and column, at the junction of knee bracing, force in the knee bracing may be resolved in two components (horizontal & vertical). These components will cause bending in the beam & column. Hence, beam and column are to be designed for bending at the junction of knee bracing.

5)        As mentioned above, local concentration of force will be there at the junction of knee bracing and beam, column. Hence, local strengthening may be needed at the junction of knee bracing and beam & column.

6)        If  knee bracings are provided to replace the moment connections, overall deflection of the structure may increase under the effect of lateral loads. To decrease the deflection, partially restrained moment connection may be provided along with the knee bracings.

7)        Beam-column junction may be designed as a shear connection or partially restrained moment connection, depending upon the assumptions considered in Space Frame Model.

Regards,

Bhavin Shah