Re: FW: Structural Engineering Hall of Fame

Yet Nathan Newmark is the one with a building named after him on campus... (my contribution to the HoF list)

(I'm also glad to see Bob Halvorson mentioned)

From: Stanley E Scholl [mailto:sscholl2(--nospam--at)juno.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Structural Engineering Hall of Fame

Prof. Hardy Cross of the U. of Illinois is an obvious choice. In about 1930 he was attending the national ASCE conference in Chicago (I think) and although he was a sanitary engr. professor, sat in on a session of the structural engineers where they discussed how difficult it was to analyze continuous structures. He developed the moment distribution procedures that night in his hotel (based on his concepts for analysis of water line networks) and delivered the paper to the structural engineers the next day.

Stan Scholl, PE
Laguna Beach, CA