Re: End Plate Moment Connection - Bolt Force Distribution

The following is not exactly an answer to your question but I think it is relevant.  I asked AISC about why they used 1 1/2" for single plate vertical edge distances and 1 1/4" for double angle edged distances.  The reply that I received stated that the 1 1/2" distance was used in the tests that they used in developing the tables and design procedure shown in the AISC Manual for single plate connections and 1 1/4" was used in the tests used in developing the tables for doulble angle connections.  If you want to use 1 1/4" for the single plate type of connection, you should take into account the different forces based on distance from the load and other issues that you do not need to consider if you stay within the parameters that the Manual procedure was based on.

Jeremy White <jwhite(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com> wrote:
When looking at bolts in an end plate, would one consider an elastic distribution of the stress such that the bolt farthest from the center of the beam (center about the x-axis) has the most force?  The stress would be multiplied by the trib area of the bolt to find the bolt force.  This is the procedure outlined in the Salmon and Johnson Steel Structures book.  They discuss this method in conjunction with pretensioning of the bolts.  My situation is a metal building frame which is most likely not pretensioned (I would assume), but the method should still apply.

The only other way that I can think of looking at the distribution of forces to the bolts is just to assume all bolts take equal force (all other AISC info seems to imply this).  It seems more logical that the outer most bolt would see more of the stress, but I haven?t found any other material that backs this up.  Could anyone shed some light on the issue of how to distribute forces to bolts in an end-plate moment connection?

Thanks,
Jeremy White