From: Jeremy White [mailto:jwhite(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 8:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: End Plate Moment Connection - Bolt Force Distribution

When looking at bolts in an end plate, would one consider an elastic distribution of the stress such that the bolt farthest from the center of the beam (center about the x-axis) has the most force?  The stress would be multiplied by the trib area of the bolt to find the bolt force.  This is the procedure outlined in the Salmon and Johnson Steel Structures book.  They discuss this method in conjunction with pretensioning of the bolts.  My situation is a metal building frame which is most likely not pretensioned (I would assume), but the method should still apply.

The only other way that I can think of looking at the distribution of forces to the bolts is just to assume all bolts take equal force (all other AISC info seems to imply this).  It seems more logical that the outer most bolt would see more of the stress, but I haven’t found any other material that backs this up.  Could anyone shed some light on the issue of how to distribute forces to bolts in an end-plate moment connection?

Thanks,

Jeremy White