RE: Plywood over 2x Decking for Diaphragm

Sounds good to me as long as you get the right nail penetration listed in the design tables.  I would be concerned with the boundary nailing though.  At the diaphragm boundary I think you need the nail to penetrate thru the decking into the wall top plates, or whatever your chord/struts are.  You’re looking at 20d’s probably.

~~ Eli Grassley, PE

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 2:17 PM
To: seaint
Subject: Plywood over 2x Decking for Diaphragm

I have a project where the client has (so far) provided a floor system consisting of 3/4" plywood over 2x6 T&G decking.  The decking spans 3 ft to 6x10 purlins.  It seems to me that I can use the plywood diaphragm values for a blocked diaphragm assuming nail size (short enough to not protrude clear through the decking) and penetration is taken into account in the diaphragm values.  I think this is the case as all the panel edges are backed up with the decking so the diaphragm can be considered “blocked” and the 2x6 decking will span the 3 ft.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)