RE: Any Young Engineers Out There?

>Bill Polhemus wrote:
>How many engineers here--regardless of
>age--took one look at the new Thirteenth
>Edition AISC Manual of Steel Construction,
>put it up on their bookshelves and went
>right back to the Ninth Edition?"

Probably every one that is intimately familiar with the 9th Edition ASD
Manual more so than any other version. This question and answer can be
modified to be asked and answered about every edition of the AISC
Manual. The bottom line is that everyone prefers exactly what they have
right now, until they see something that appears better.

I hope you will find such things in the 13th Edition. Perhaps the Basic
Design Values Cards are the starting point for this, until the Manual
becomes available.

>It's gonna take forty years traveling
>in the wilderness ... before the last
>vestiges of the ASD Idolatry are snuffed
>out.

No need to snuff them out. The 2005 AISC Specification and 13th Edition
allow you to continue to use ASCE 7 ASD load combinations -- and take
advantage of all that we've learned since 1961 in doing so. As I've
commented before, you can use virtually every provision in stress or
strength form, so ASD to your heart's content for the rest of your
career (or as long as ASCE 7 maintains ASD combinations).

Charlie