From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Ya, but they will be taking it off that shelf in the not so distant
future.  This difference this time is that future model building codes
(i.e. starting with 2006 IBC, I believe) will not longer reference the
1989 AISC ASD spec as "permitted"/"legal" design.  All current codes
that I aware of that are in effect (i.e. legally adopted by local
jurisdications) still reference the 1989 AISC ASD spec (sometimes they
also reference the Supplement 1 to the ASD spec that was officially
released in December 2001 although it did not really modify all that much)
along with a version of the LRFD spec.  Thus, you can right now "legally"
design using the 1989 ASD spec.  This is largely due to AISC not updating
the ASD spec and not being able (or wanting to...maybe) "kill" it from the
model building codes.

That is until now...

Now they have an updated spec that updates both ASD and LRFD and that is
what will be referenced in future model (i.e. IBC) building codes.  And
when that happens, we will all be "forced" (although I have no doubt that
some will continue to use "old" ASD) to use the new spec.  Now, it will
not happen right away cause even once a model building code adopts the new
spec (which I believe that the 2006 IBC has done), it takes time for many
local jurisdictions/states to adopt that model building code.

So, enjoy your reprieve and relish your last, limited time with 1989 ASD
(and thus "Green Book") spec.  You will likely be delving into the 2005
ASD/LRFD spec relatively soon, be that either in the form of a free PDF
from AISC or in your brand spaking new 13th edition AISC manual (assuming
that they ever ship them...sorry Charlie...could not help myself <grin>).

Now, the interesting question I think is: how many people will make the
switch to LRFD when they are force to learn the new 2005 ASD/LRFD spec?
After all, the only really difference between "using" ASD and LRFD will be
whether or not you want to put load factors on your load calculations on
the "demand side".  The "capacity" side of the equation will be virtually
identical.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI