Railings on Park Bridges - What Code Applies?

Question for the young, the young at heart, the formerly young, and those
who are just spry:

What code, if any, is applicable to pedestrian and bicycle bridges in parks,
boardwalks, etc.  The structures I am thinking of are the 8' to 10' span
multi-span timber bridges/boardwalks you commonly see in city and county
parks for crossing small ditches, along wetlands, etc.  These are
non-vehicle bridges (disregard service vehicles).

I'm not asking what are good design standards - I'm familiar with the AASHTO
code for pedestrian bridges, etc.  And all of the codes have requirements
for handrail for drop-offs exceeding a certain height.  And there are
certainly ADA provisions.

Rather, I'm asking, in the absence of any special criteria that the park
owner has adopted, what code requirements apply by default?  Would the OSHA
guardrail provisions have to met?

In other words, if someone asked you if a particular park bridge "met code",
what code would you check compliance with?  And on what basis would you say
that that code applies?

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111