RE: Any Young Engineers Out There?

>Jeremy White wrote:
>LRFD is more than just applying load factors,
>though.  I believe it includes addition checks
>(ductility), additional equations, etc. (that's
>why the book is so much thicker)

This isn't really true.

Steel is steel and it does not know to behave differently when you
design with ASD or LRFD. All those new things that came along while LRFD
was actively updated and ASD was dormant still applied to ASD, too. It's
just that people looking at the 9th Edition (or 8th, or 7th, ...) didn't
have the benefit of seeing the new things.

Sometimes this resulted in a problem. Sometimes it was just the tree
falling in the forest with nobody there to hear it make a sound.

With the 2005 AISC Specification, ASD and LRFD are identical as Scott
Maxwell described. The only difference is which set of load factors you
choose from ASCE 7.

Charlie

P.S. Please share with Dave and Rich that Gesch says hi.