Re: Beam design

Axial forces (<0.10*Ag*Fc') on beams are usually small on building frames and therefore can be safely neglected to simplify computations. On the other hand, one can easily create a spreadsheet or mathcad worksheet to automate the process if desired.

Alex Nacionales

Santhosh Kumar Yedidi <sant527(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Sherman,

Can you please help regarding the beam design issue. I understood the
procedure of how to do beam design with axial force. I am working in a
consulting firm. We analyze any frame structure using staad. After
staad analysis, we get the member end forces. All member end forces
also contain an axial component irrespective of being a beam or
column. So all beams contain an axial component. Then our beam theroy
is not so useful. because codes give charts only for bending moment
capacity.

So my question is why those people havent thought about this issue of
axial force. Can you suggest some generalization, which would help me
to design the beams using beam theory rather than again analysing each
beam seperately for combined axial and moment.