RE: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Bill,

Here is something that you and I do agree on...personally, I don't think
it is such a big deal to learn (actually re-learn in my case since I
"learnt" in school) LRFD.  I generally have used ASD cause I kind of had
to early in my career and then it became a matter of being too lazy to
change back.  I did tell myself that I would make the switch when the 3rd
edition manual/1999 LRFD spec came out, but really have had the need to as
I don't do a heck of a lot of steel design now.  But, regardless I am not
bothered about having to "switch".

I have actually used LRFD some in recent years when I have taken the
Struct III test for my SE license in Washington.  LRFD to some degree is a
little easier to deal with when doing seismic design and having to use the
AISC Seismic Provisions.  The ASD provisions in the AISC Seismic spec are
kind of "converted" LRFD provisions in many cases, if memory serves me
(i.e. you determine the capacity per some LRFD type equations and then
"adjust" that capacity into ASD terms...kind of like what I believe is in
the 2005 spec).

Scott
Adrian, MI