From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:36:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Bill,

I don't know if Bill has the 13th edition manual or not yet (the one that
I ordered has not arrived yet either), but you can certainly get a "head
start" if you want and download the 2005 spec in PDF format.  All the
other stuff in the manual is to some degree "fluff" (other than the other
specs, which can also be downloaded for free).  Granted that "fluff" can
potentially help you understand the specs not to mention make design
easier (i.e. tables and charts).  The point is that technically, you
really don't need the manual (although I have no doubt that AISC would
prefer it if you bought the manual).

FWIW, I have the 2005 spec sitting on the desktop of this computer.  Maybe
someday soon, I will be a good little boy and start reading/learning it!
<grin>  Although, I have to admit that I have a few higher priority
"learning" things on my list such at the 2005 NDS (first have to
remember where I put the damn thing) and ASCE 7-05...both of
which I will more than likely use much more than the AISC spec in my
current point in my career.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 bcainse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Bill-
> I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.  Although I ordered the Manual
last fall from AISC, they have told me they won't be sending it until February
do to some issues with their printer.  Where did you get yours?