RE: Any Young Engineers Out There? - new AISC seminar on the spec/manual

Charlie,

I will "dicker" a little with you.  Other major material standards (ACI
318, NDS, ASCE 7, and the MSJC) are rougly half the price of the ACI
manual.  Member prices for ASCE 7-05 is $93.75; for ACI 318-05 is $95; for
the 2005 MSJC (masonry code) is $71.25; and 2005 NDS is $25.  That
compares with $175 member price for the 13th edition manual.  So, the
comment that you get "you get specifications and standards for that money
from others" is not really accurate (unless you want to talk about AWS
D1.1...in which case, the AISC manual is cheap).

Now, I will agree that you get a WHOLE lot more in the AISC manual than
you get with most other material standards...with the possible exception
of the wood world.  You can get a bunch of potentially useful tools/design
aid publications with the NDS (although they have not been updated to the
2005 NDS level yet...and don't know if they will).  I bought the NDS and
the wood LRFD as well as other useful publications including WFCM in one
package from AWC that was for less than the AISC manual.

But, I will agree that AISC price for the manual is _NOT_ high.  I would
argue that it is rather comparable to the other major materials standards
(with the possible exception of the wood stuff, which is significantly
less) if you buy both the material standard and a "design aid" type book.
You can get the masonry code and the Masonry Designer's Guide for roughly
the same price as the AISC manual...and get moderately close to the same
level of information (tough to compare apples and organges).  You can get
ACI 318 and the PCA notes on ACI 318 for roughly the same price as the
AISC manual...and again get moderately similar level of information (i.e.
code/specs plus quite a few design aides/examples/"tools").

Now, where AISC definitely "one ups" the others is that engineers can
actually get the specification/code documents for free.  Thus, one could
make the arguement while one pays roughly half for ACI 318 and half for
PCA notes (as an example), that person pays the full equal amount to get
the design aids from AISC and pays nothing for the AISC specs.  Which
means that another way to look at it is that your codes/specs are REALLY
cheap and your design aids are REALLY expensive...relatively speaking.
;-)

And while I am "dickering" with stuff, while I can agree there was maybe
(maybe not) some sarcasm in her comment about "working out bugs", there is
also truth to it.  Mistakes/typos/errors or even bad code provisions are a
fact of life.  That is why we have errata and also why there are revisions
to codes...some times (although rather infrequently) on an "emergency"
basis.  Personally, if I were on a code commitee and had that type of a
comment directed at me, I likely would not be bothered by it.  Fact is
that there will be some bugs in the new manual that will have to be
"worked" out...it matters little how hard or well one works on
something...there are always bound to be at least typos/errors.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI