Re: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Bill,

Not to "dicker" (although I like to do it), but I would have to say that I
would call the 6th edition more of the "Maroon Book" rather than "Red
Book".  I would consider the 8th edition more of the "Red Book".  <grin>
Of course, I could also "dicker" with myself over the use of "Blue Book"
for the 1st edition LRFD as the 5th edition was a dark blue, the 7th
edition was a light blue and the 3rd edition LRFD (12th edition overall)
is a navy blue.

That is the product of me being a moderately "seasoned" engineer
(thus, I don't consider myself a young engineer per se, but neither do
I consider myself an old engineer) that has worked on retrofit of existing
buildings...I went out an bought a bunch of used AISC manuals.  Was not
able at the time to find 4th edition or earlier and don't really have need
other than I like to collect structural books and codes in case I have a
need for them in the future.

And I agree with you on the whole knat's rear arguement...it is not needed
or even warranted frequently in the "structural world".  And it is many
times not even useful in repeative situations...in steel design, one
usually saves more money by having the same beam over and over and over
again rather than getting the absolute lightest members possible.  Not to
mention that the concrete actually used likely is not going to have the
exact f'c that you used in design nor the steel to have the exact fy that
you used.  So, doing precise calculations to some 5th decimal place
(although it does somewhat depend on the units used) is typically a waste
of time.  I learned that one back in school when my concrete professor
"yelled" at me for using two or more decimal places in my homeworks and
pointed out that if my capacity was within roughly 5% or less of demand, I
was likely "good to go".

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI