From: S. Gordin [mailto:mailbox(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:39 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Railings on Park Bridges - What Code Applies?

David,

The owners generally cannot be relied upon in the choice of the design criteria.

Handrails usually have to meet AASHTO requirements (50 PLF).
The local codes are usually checked as they may produce a worse case for the railing or its attachment.

"Rigid" safety rails need to meet a 4"-sphere requirement (while loaded).

"Flexible" (cable) safety rails have additional requirements (tension, anchorage, support spacing, overall length, etc.).  AFAIK, these are not mentioned in any code.

Usually these requirements are listed in the specifications for the bridge. In lieu of such specs, the engineer needs to compile those based upon his judgment, degree of care for the public welfare, and his license.

HTH

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA