Re: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Great, can I opt out of the magazine, and get the credit for the cover price towards the bookstore? How about just a credit for the TWO copies they send to my one-man office - one to me and one to the "office", despite repeated attempts to discontinue one of them?  Heck, I don't really mind the AISC prices, it's ACI that gets me, and ASCE, and...  well, maybe its just that I hate paying a 30-40% premium for these references that are required by law, unless I drop a couple grand a year and become a "member" of every freakin' society on God's green earth. (sorry, I just had to buy several new references and a new copy of AutoCAD, so I'm a bit raw right now).

Jordan

Scott Maxwell wrote:
Yes.  But non-profit doesn't mean that they don't want to sell stuff and
can create stuff for free.  They still must pay their staff members,
"mortgage" payments/rent for office space, etc.  And they must be at least
reasonable competitive in what they pay their employees.  So, the point is
that all the stuff that they produce (specifications/codes, magazines,
manuals, technical documents, seminars, etc) does not magically appear for
free.  They all cost money to produce...and it ain't just money to pay for
the paper that they are printed on.  They pay for those expenses by
selling publications, from member dues (both professional members like me
as well a frabricator members...AISC is both a trade organization and a
"techinical" organization), from seminars, etc.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI