From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 12:38 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Beam design

Bill,

To "dicker" again (sorry...getting to be a bad habit), I will point out
that charts and such are not provided in the "code" (or specification to
use AISC's term) in the steel world either.  All the charts and tables
and other design aids that are in the AISC manuals are NOT part of the
"code".
Only a relative small portion of the AISC manual(s) are actually "code".

Thus, much like AISC is two types of organizations (both trade and
technical) while ACI is basically just one type (techinical), the AISC
manual is two types of publications - "code" and design aid - just as
ACI
318 is just one type of publication - a "code" (OK, so technically there
are two types of publications under the one cover as there is the "code"
[ACI 318] and the commentary [ACI 318R]...but they are technically still
two publications even if they are printed in the same book).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI