RE: New LFRD/ASD Steel Code (Was: Any Young Engineers Out There?)

As of now we are doing it in our down time between jobs, but if a job requires the use of a certain sheet and that sheet has to be updated (due to any type of code change) the changes are made then and taken into that job time.  I have reviewed some of our MathCAD sheets that have not been used for awhile, some still to the UBC 94, and at that age it is sometimes easier to just rewrite the sheet or do the calculation by hand.  You know those type of programs, you have a brain storm and think you have come up with this wonderful program that is going change your engineering life, you use it for that job and never touch it again!

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherman, William [mailto:ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com]
Sent:
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 5:45 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: New LFRD/ASD Steel Code (Was: Any Young Engineers Out There?)

I'm curious - how do various engineering firms cover the cost of updating MathCad and Excel spreadsheets for new code equations?  Do you have an overhead account for this work or do you just do the updates as projects require usage?  It takes some time to do such updates, but doing such work seems to strain budgets and time commitments.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311