RE: Any Young Engineers Out There? - new AISC seminar on the spec/manual

Bill,

All stuff that I more or less addressed further down in the message that
you quoted from (your eyes likely glazed over from my "yakking" before
you got to that point).  I have given in the past and will continue to
praise AISC for putting out the code/specs in PDF format for free.

As to the MCP, comparing the MCP to the AISC manual is just not accurate.
The MCP has realtively little in the way of "design aids" in my opinion.
So, if you are trying to "replicate" what the AISC manual gives beyond the
specs/codes, then I suggest you look elsewhere.  What the MCP _DOES_ give
you is a LOT of technical information on a LOT of different concrete
appications in the form of standards (codes, specs, etc) and non-standards
(reports, guides, etc).  So, if you do work in concrete in less than
typical situations, then the MCP can be a big help (think of the recent
questions on concrete chimneys, concrete fire protection and frequent
question on things like mass concrete, cold weather concrete, etc).

And I will say it again...I have absolutely no problem with paying $175 (I
have no problem paying for AISC's membership either) for the manual.  I
consider it well worth it...not to mention a price of working in the field
that I am in.  If I had chosen some other field, I would have to be
shelling out some $$$ for equipment/tools to work in that field (i.e.
hardhat or steel toes for a construction worker, medical equipment for a
doctor, etc).  Every profession has expenses that they must pay in order
to do their job or to potentially make their job easier (and hopefully
more profit margin friendly).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI