RE: Any Young Engineers Out There?

Hi Jordan.

Just to clarify....

AISC membership dues don't "fund" Modern Steel Construction; advertising
does. If you're receiving multiple copies, I'd love to know so I can
take one of the subscriptions off the database (though if you're member
of SEI you might be receiving your second copy through them).

AISC doesn't do any "lobbying" though we do a substantial amount of
marketing. However, the marketing funds primarily come from the steel
mills, service centers and steel fabricators (and a lot of their money
also goes into our technical activities as well--publication sales and
professional member dues don't cover all of the costs of AISC's
technical activities). Industry funds even pay the bulk of the Steel
Solution Center costs (if you have technical questions on steel, email
them to solutions(--nospam--at)aisc.org or call 866.ask.aisc and you'll typically get
an answer if not the same day then within 24 hours).

AISC is well aware of the burden on students created by the need to
purchase expensive books. As a result, for the past few years we've sold
manuals to students at a steeply discounted rate (less then the member
price) -- and we don't charge shipping or handling fees. This program is
in place at the majority of universities with steel courses.

If you want to know more about AISC activities, please come to the Steel
Conference in San Antonio (www.aisc.org/nascc) and stop by the AISC
booth. All of our technical staff is in attendance and would love to
chat with you.

Scott Melnick
AISC