RE: Slide Rules

I actually liked my 8" circular. It could run "rings" around the slip-sticks.

I used it approximately from 1951 through 1972 for a good portion of my work. At the various places that I worked, basically San Francisco, I had access either to Friden or Marchant (either electric or hand crank) calculators, although when we were doing real precision work on lift drawings, we were required to use logrithims, placed outside of the left border of our drawings (Guy F. Atkinson). In West Africa, we used hand crank Curta's for the surveying work

Finally, in 1972 I got my first digital desktop four function calculator with large numbers and one memory bank. From there, we went to a TI59 with magnetic strips and eventually to a TRS-80 Model II, running SAP80 and Visacalc.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
shingle springs, ca