Re: Slide Rules

On 25 Jan 2006 at 13:05, Dave Adams wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just love the part in "Apollo 13", brief as it is, showing a whole
> line of engineers running calculations with their slide rules, all
> agreeing with one another about the results that they needed to find.
> I've always found it nice to keep some things around me to remind
> myself not to get too caught up in technology and thus lose sight of
> what it means to be an engineer -- one of the things that I do not
> have is a slide rule.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good slide rule (company, model, type, size,
> where to get one)?  Not sure if I'll learn how to use it, but I would
> like to have one around.
>
> Regards,
> Dave K. Adams, S.E.
> Lane Engineers, Inc.
> Tulare, CA
> E-mail:  davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com

Dave,

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago.  I wanted to have a good
engineering slide rule as both a conversation piece and as something to
use if I was away from power and didn't have my calculator.  Based on
the research that I did, a Log Log Duplex Decitrig is what you want. I
was able to get a couple of them on E-bay for less than $20 each.  I got
a K&E N4081-3 which is very nice and clean, and a Pickett N1010-ES
Trig. which is aluminum and feels less 'warm' than the K&E.  I also found
an instruction manual online for the K&E that will work for any similar
slide rule.  They are fun.

Take Care,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.