RE: We're Not Getting Older, We're Getting DUMBER [WAS: Any Young Engineers Out There?]

Bill,

I agree that if in fact the design is conservative their likely will not
be any lawsuits (unless it is SO concervative that the client/owner
wants/chooses to sue to engineer for wasting their money).

But, do you know for 100% fact that 100% of all designs done per the 1989
ASD spec (aka 9th edition) will be conservative relative to new AISC specs
such as the 2005 spec or the 1999 LRFD spec or even the 1993 LRFD spec?  I
don't.  Charlie might.  But, the point is that it is potentially likely
that there are some updates in the new specs relative to 1989 spec that might
make some designs per the 1989 spec UNconservative.  And as such, there
could be some sort of a failure, in which case those friendly folks that
you love so much (aka lawyers) could get involve.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI