To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 3:24 PM
Subject: RE: Slide Rules

Dave:

I still have the slide rule that I was required to purchase in
September, 1965.  It is a Versalog #1460, by Frederick Post Co.  It also
says "Hemmi Japan" (not to be confused with a HEMI).  It still looks and
works like new, and even the genuine leather case is still in pretty
good shape.

There was a time when I was certain that it could outperform any
calculator or computer (the boot-up time will still beat any Mac or
dual-core PC).  The fact that it "enforced" a three digit limit was a
much appreciated bonus.  I still kind of remember how to use it.  The
manual is somewhere in my office, but I'm not sure just where.

No, it is not for sale!  It is one of my cherished reminders of the good
old days, along with ACI 318-63 and AISC 6th Ed.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that I am not an
"old fart."  I believe that age is a state of mind.  I have convinced
myself that I am not a day over thirty.  Age does not require maturity.
Life is supposed to be fun, including the workplace.

Regards,

Young Stan in Dallas

You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
you grow old because you stop laughing.
                           ...anonymous