Scott's record

Scott,

You just set a record!

You've beaten Dennis Wish whose deafening silence was
noticed by me. ( I hope he is okay. There's no word
from him for quite some time now)

Yours was the maximum number of posts in a single 24
hour interval. I subscribe to this list in digest mode
and I noticed how prolific you have been this day.
Even a severely provoked Bill Polhemus at is nagging
best was not so prolific.

Did you find time to eat or were you munching burgers
and still pounding away at the keyboard with the other
hand? Didn't the wife protest?

I'm not complaining.
Merely noticing.
By the way, I actually read all your posts.

The position in India regarding LRFD/ASD is as
follows:

There's no Lrfd/Asd confrontation in steel design here
in India.
After independence in 1947, we inherited the British
code and published it for the first time in 1956 and
called it IS:800.
It was based on Working stress design.
It was practically a copy of the British code and we
merely changed the units from imperial to metric.
We revised it in 1962 and there was some
Indianisation.
That held sway till 1984 and we revised it  and
introduced major improvements but it was still based
on ASD (we call it WSD here)
LRFD was talked about by the academicians only and the
professionals in the commercial world used to
nervously nudge one another and inquire in hushed
whispers if they needed to go back to school to learn
these new fangled formulas.
The academicians pompously issued threats about how
Lrfd would completely replace ASD and how all old
geezers like us would be dragged kicking and screaming
into the new world of LRFD.
Learned committees were working at frenetic pace on
the drafts and they were being circulated widely for
comments . We were told and the official printed
edition would be out any time.

It's 2006 now and LRFD has not yet made it's
appearance in printed form in India.
(Let's see which horse wins the race, The Aisc's 13th
edition or our LRFD edition of the code)

No one in India is waiting eagerly for the LRFD code.
So no one is complaining.

We do very little steel design anyway.
Steel is horribly expensive here.
We have only very limited steel shapes to choose from.
Compared to the several hundred W and S shapes you
have available to choose for the symmetric I Section
we make do with just about 10 shapes. So even with
LRFD you don't have much of a choice. The deepest
rolled I section here is ISMB 600, 24" deep  with a
flange width  of just 8 1/4 inches. The properties are
nothing to write home about.

Reinforced Concrete is the preferred choice for
construction here in India.
Only the Railways and Heavy Industrial buildings use
Steel.
So using LRFD is not a priority here.
We were told that using LRFD would result in a saving
in steel.
That saving was perhaps 5 to 10 percent.
This was not an incentive sufficient to make it a
priority development area.
Our steel fabrication is done in open yards at the
construction site (unlike well equipped fabrication
shops in USA) and wastage is significantly higher.
This, coupled with the fact that corrosion allowance
of about 2 mm in thickness is also considered, nullify
any savings in steel that LRFD can theoretically bring
about.

Any way, I am not affected now.
I am most definitely out of the group of young
engineer's that are now announcing themselves on the
list.

I was last involved in structural steel analysis and
design in a supervisory capacity  over 10 years ago. I
started my professional career as a designer of steel
structures in 1974 and the eighties was the period
when I did the maximum analysis and design work with
primitive (by today's standards) software and
hardware.  I am hoping I never have to do it again in
the last few years that remain in my working life.

I am now busy running an overseas steel detailing set
up and I undertake detailing for US fabricators.
There's more money in it for us than doing structural
design for local Indian projects.
The Internet has made it possible and some years ago I
wrote an article on this and it is still accessible on
Steel-link.com

Mail me privately if you are interested in a copy. It
definitely needs some updating but I am hoping most of
it is still relevant and readable.

Regards
Vish
(G Vishwanath, Bangalore, India)