Re: We're Not Getting Older, We're Getting DUMBER

I can't help but think of my first old steel prof who
thought that the next big thing would be plastic
design.  With plastic design you, aka pushover
analysis when you look at the structure as a whole,
not element-by-element.  That seems way more rational
than LRFD or ASD.  I wonder if it didn't catch on
because it's difficult to do with an FEA program.

In the interest of balance, I would say the following:

If there are things for which ASD isn't appropriate,
there are also things for which LRFD is not
appropriate, like serviceability checks for
deflection.  Also, if there is more uncertainty in
predicting live loads, there are ways to deal with
that, i.e. specify higher live loads.  It will be
necessary to use both ways of thinking to do building
design.

It seems like one of the biggest reasons we're all
switching to LRFD is because the ASD spec hasn't been
kept up to date.

$0.02
MJ