Re: We're Not Getting Older, We're Getting DUMBER

On Jan 26, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Polhemus, Bill wrote:

Chris, since the number of buildings designed to the "limit states"
standard in the U.S. is vanishingly small, I don't know that this
question is valid right now.
Sounds right--just my somewhat dramatic way of asking if limit analysis was really intended to address problems with working stress design.

One of the mistakes I think AISC and co. made in "marketing" the
original edition of the LRFD spec was to try to portray it as "saving
money." The TRUTH is that sometimes it did, and sometimes it didn't. At
best, it was a wash.
Right on about the marketing effort. I have an abiding dislike of change for its own sake and particular change motivated by the need to sell something, and I never got over the feeling that the sudden urge to push a methodology that's been around for a long time just didn't feel like it should have.

I need to re-emphasize that this is really more of a philosophical question for me than a rant about limit analysis. I don't do buildings, although AISC is the basis of most of my nuke-related seismic work. There's a certain amount of limit analysis involved in determining loss of functionality during a safe shut-down event, and I couldn't possibly deny the usefulness of limit analysis. Aiming the AISC rules in the direction of determining upper-bound collapse loads is a good thing; implying that it's a more desirable analysis methodology (my take on the way it was presented) certainly isn't, becasue I don't think such a statement is provable.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/