Re: roof truss connection

Dave,
1.  You can bear trusses directly onto masonry, but it is easier to transfer shear to a bolted sill plate.  That assumes you have nominal shear loads that are transferring from the roof diaphragm above to the wall.  As for moisture protection, I'd leave that for the architect to spec out.
2.  I guess you could design the gable end wall as a cantilevered wall.   Something about that just doesn't seem right to me, though.  Personally, I would add blocking and kickers to the diaphragm every 4'.

DA <dnae2(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Sorry for sending again

Hi
questions about roof trusses to Masonry wall

I have a job with gable trusses 40 long bear on masonry wall
1-I see simp. catalog with connection without sill plate
what about between the trusses which is 24 inches on center
just 21 inch sill plate?
Also what kind of moisture barrier shall specify
2- If the masonry wall is 10 foot high only
shall I design that wall free standing at end gable
the roof pitch is 7:12 which is very high
thanks in advance for response and idea

Dave A., P.E.

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org