RE: Seismic loads on cantilevered retaining walls

I use the procedure in "Foundations & Earth Structures" published by Naval Facilities Engineering Command, also known as Design Manual 7.02

I can fax the pages to you if you don't have the Design Manual.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Pat Clark [mailto:Pat(--nospam--at)bldgconcepts.com]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 12:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FW: Seismic loads on cantilevered retaining walls

I believe that this was covered in the past, but I couldn’t find enough info in the archives….

I am trying to add a seismic component to a cantilevered retaining wall (10’ and less) for a public works projects.  We have reviewed the Mononobe-Okabe equations, but do not like the answers we seem to be getting, apparently because they do not allow for any deflection in the wall.   Does anyone have any recommendations to simplify the analysis, by applying some rational numbers to the retaining wall designs?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Clark, P.E.

Building Concepts, Inc.

1478 4th Street