RE: Beam design

Himat Solanki wrote: "ACI Committee 340 has been dissolved in the late
1990's - there is no update after 1997. This means there is no
publication consistent with the ACI Code such as 2002, 2005 etc.  There
are lots of good publications available such as design charts/aids which
would make designers' life easy."

I am a bit surprised that ACI no longer plans to publish those design
aids - perhaps computer spreadsheets and software have made these charts
less popular to purchase.  What other "good publications" are you
referring to that include design charts/aids?  The only other one I can
think of is published by CRSI - it has some useful information but it
seems geared towards specific beam and column sizes vs the more general
charts provided by ACI.  I've occasionally seen a few charts in the back
of some reference books, but I am not aware of many publications that
primarily consist of design tables and charts for concrete.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311