RE: We're Not Getting Older, We're Getting DUMBER [WAS: Any Young Engineers Out There?]

Title: Message

Buddy:

Here’s a good, general question (and one bound to elicit an emotional response as well, I’ll wager).

Why do you continue to engage in “code development”? Can there not be a case made that our material design codes are now “good enough,” and we can dispense with this exhaustive work altogether?

Steel designers have been happily using the 1989 ASD-based MSC for more than fifteen years now, and buildings don’t appear to be falling down of themselves due to inadequate design.

So what’s the point?

(My turn to duck ‘n’ cover).