RE: Perforated Shear Wall Opening Design

Rich,

Volume I of the 2000 IBC Structural/Seismic Design Manual has an example with one opening on page 239.  The older version of the design manual using UBC has the same or similar example.  I’ve seen another example somewhere that was also similar with only one opening.  Several years ago I was looking at wood design texts that had an example with multiple openings but can’t recall the name and haven’t run across it since, due to a couple of moves in between.  I fought through an example that I made up with several openings one time though, just to figure out how to fight through the math, and statics.  Anyway, I’m hoping someone that is good with writing spreadsheets (definitely not me) will come up with something for multiple openings.

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.

Civil Engineering and Surveying