RE: Bentley, AutoDesk, or Both

From: Dick_Roberts(--nospam--at)oxy.com [mailto:Dick_Roberts(--nospam--at)oxy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bentley, AutoDesk, or Both

I work with both of them with no problems but find AutoCAD a little more cumbersome. I also convert AutoCAD to Microstation with vary little trouble.

In addition, while I am on the subject I am 67+ years old and find Mr. Hans E Boge insinuation that older people have problems learning new computer

programs insulting.

Richard Roberts

Being insulted is the new national pastime.

I’m twenty years younger than you are, Richard, but I have to say that I do notice I’m a little less quick on the uptake than I used to be. And IIRC, there are physiological data that indicate we don’t learn as quickly when we’re older. The question remains whether it’s because we CAN’T or because most of us DON’T WANT TO.

I recall reading where the renowned physicist Richard Feynman indicated that “physics is a young man’s game,” meaning that nearly all research physicists do their breakthrough work in their twenties and thirties, and then spend the rest of their careers “coasting along” on those early accomplishments. Albert Einstein is the best example of this; his “General” and “Special” theories of relativity were published when he was in his twenties. The rest of his life he spent teaching and explaining what he meant by them.

All that said, though, “you’re only as young as you feel.” My Father in Law is only a little older than you, but he needed help figuring out how to turn his computer on, and we STILL get calls from him asking the most basic questions about computer use, eight years after we gave him his first computer. OTOH, I know an “old timer” who spent all his life working on a drafting board, and then one day received an “epiphany” when he saw Autocad for the first time. He has spent his twilight years becoming a real “whiz” at Autocad, and now teaches Autocad classes at the local J.C.—and he’s in his late seventies.