RE: Revit Structural and BIM

That sounds like the way it works in the manufacturing world, but it will be tailored for the building industry, I believe.  Drawings are unavoidable.  Revit Structural (or similar software) is built on the concept of BIM.  The drawings are created first, then are exported to the analysis program.  The info is imported back to the CAD program and construction documents created from there. And the process continues as usual.  I believe the goal is to someday be able to send the data to the fabricator so they can work from precise info.  This would put more responsibility on the SE to get it right before it goes out the door.  Some SE’s may have a problem with this because it’s a new way of doing things.  I think it opens opportunity for more fees to be charged for the additional work, which isn’t bad if it covers your additional liability plus profit.  But I may just be mistaken.

Jeremy White

-----Original Message-----
From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 4:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Revit Structural and BIM

As I understand it (and I'm open to correction), a structural engineer will prepare his structural analysis model on a B.I.M. system.  Then, when the structural analysis is complete and all the beams sized, he will send this to the fabricator or contractor, who will put together the detail drawings based on the B.I.M.  The engineer does not have to go though the laborious process of drawing preparation.  The engineer thus avoids the problems with incomplete or incorrect drawings and can concentrate on engineering.  Responsibility for drawing production goes to the fabricator or contractor.  Or does the B.I.M. go straight to the machines that process the beams, etc. so that absolutely no drawings are required?

I like the concept.  Any fabricators or contractors out there who see any pitfalls?

Bob Garner, S.E.