From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Revit Structural and BIM

As I understand it (and I'm open to correction), a structural engineer will prepare his structural analysis model on a B.I.M. system.  Then, when the structural analysis is complete and all the beams sized, he will send this to the fabricator or contractor, who will put together the detail drawings based on the B.I.M.  The engineer does not have to go though the laborious process of drawing preparation.  The engineer thus avoids the problems with incomplete or incorrect drawings and can concentrate on engineering.  Responsibility for drawing production goes to the fabricator or contractor.  Or does the B.I.M. go straight to the machines that process the beams, etc. so that absolutely no drawings are required?

I like the concept.  Any fabricators or contractors out there who see any pitfalls?

Bob Garner, S.E.