RE: Arch. Engr. Programs but no Arch. Engineers

Dangerous territory….

I have been mulling this over since ASCE decided to establish an institute specific to it and NCEES developed a PE exam for it.  At the risk of potentially offending someone out there… I honestly find the notion a little disturbing, particularly in states like mine which do not have SE registration and actually don’t even assign your registration to a specialty.  As a PE here who took the SE1 exam, as I understand it, I could legally practice in …. Electrical Engineering… IF I felt I was competent at it and nothing I turned out produced any red flags…

So, now we may be producing a group of engineers who potentially feel that they are competent to provide all those services (A/MEP/C/S).  Now the vast majority of us are ethical about that sort of thing but I see a real potential for it to be abused and I don’t know how it is in other states but I believe we currently have less than 3 inspectors who are put in the position of being responsible for all regulated professions from Engineers to Beauticians so enforcement is not “abundant”.

I guess I am protective of our specialty in the sense that I don’t think one can ‘dabble’ in it and be current.  Heck, its all I can do to keep reading the new structural codes and design structure- I’m not sure how well anyone can keep up with all the disciplines simultaneously and be a proficient engineer.

I think the degree has three potential places 1. Residential Construction, 2. Construction Management (one of our older EITs here who does a lot of our construction admin is going this route but does not do actual design), and 3. as a bachelors degree before specialization with a structural masters deg (or mech, elec, etc).   I’m iffy on the second due to a lot if run ins with CM’s that think they know how to do everything better than us already…. But that’s another whole conversation for another day.

So I can see the degree having some merit, but I am concerned about someone coming out and trying to be a Jack-of-all-trades. But as pointed out by Bill, good engineers can come from all backgrounds. I just think if you want to design and go with such a broad platform at the BS level you really need to specialize afterwards.

The big picture is a good thing- but each stroke is what makes the image.

My meandering thoughts…

Michelle Motchos, PE

Stevens & Wilkinson of SC

PO Drawer 7. Columbia SC 29202-0007