So does everyone design their anchor bolts for combined tension and shear loading?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

In a message dated 2/2/06 11:40:55 AM, jason.christensen(--nospam--at)es2eng.com writes:
So how does one transfer the uplift force through plywood to plate connection with out causing cross grain bending in the plate?
Other than using 3 1/2” or 5 1/2” plate washers for 2x4 or 2x6 walls.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Perforated shear wall uplift

The anchor bolts (not the end holdowns) need to be designed for a “uniform uplift equal to the wall shear.”  Your example of a 10’ wall with 500plf shear gives you 5000# of total uplift.  That gets distributed out to all of the anchor bolts along the length of the wall.  If you have 5 anchor bolts, they each see 1000#.  The overturning holdown forces are a completely separate issue.

This is the code language for designing a “perforated shear wall.”  It is my understanding that this requirement is worded that way because that is how the testing apparatus was set up when they were gathering data to make Table 2305.3.7.2 (shear capacity adjustment factors).

~~ Eli G