RE: Arch. Engr. Programs but no Arch. Engineers

And keep in mind that I NEVER said that they would have any problem
realtive to CEs.  My point was that someone from an AE _MIGHT_ have slight
general edge in doing building design as they were exposed to all areas of
building design not just structural.  In terms of designing the beams or
columns of a bridge or building, I personally doubt that an AE degree vs.
a CE degrees necessarily gives one an adavantage.  To me, it is more about
the individual and which structural classes they took and how well those
classes may have been taught then whether it was an AE or CE program.

In terms of U of Texas, more than likely those AE grads took most of the
same if not the same structural course that a graduate of the CE program
takes.  The big difference was likely what non-structural courses they had
to take.  So, it does not suprise me at all that some AE U of Texas grads
did well in bridge design, just as it would not suprise that CE U of Texas
grads (with concrentrations in structures of course) can do well in
building design.  My point is that an AE U of Texas grad might have a
slightly easier time of being on a building design team initially than a
CE U of Texas grad cause the AE grad will have likely more education on
other building systems such as mechnical and electrical...but both would
likely do rather actually doing the structural calculations/design unless
one is just smarter/better than the other.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI