Re: KISS Method for Bracing Connection Design

Michael:

they had a road show last year on Steel Concentric Braced Frames which was very good and you might be able to get notes from the seminars.

At that road show I attended Rafael Sabelli mentioned to me that he was developing software for AISC for the analysis of CBF's and I believe EBF's. One of the aspects of the program would be to move the work point to various locations within the column to help reduce the gusset plate size. The moments are usually not that high that they cannot be managed.

but UFM is more economical.

As to Tripp's concern more economical depends on how many frames and the severity of the loads I would think. At least while I'm thinking that is.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA