Re: Lumber grading from small mills

Joe,

For timbers, I believe that this would do you no good at all as the grade
of the timber (5"x5" or larger) is a function of things like # and size of
knots and slope of grain in the middle third of the end use structural
member.  So, such a practice would get you a "strength" (aka grade) for
your little 2 foot long piece but would not be applicable for your "in
place" structural members.

And I believe the same would be true of dimension lumber.  There I believe
the grade is still function of slope grain and # and size of knots along
the length of the piece.  Thus, if the say the # of knots overall for a
standard length of 2x material is heavily concentrated in one area or not,
then a "false" impression of the wood material could be arrived at from a
small "sample" piece.

The point is that I don't believe (but I am not grading expert) that one
can grade a 2 foot piece of lumber or timber.  Wood ain't like steel...a
little piece of it is not necessarily a good representative of the larger
pieces.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI