Re: Lumber grading from small mills

No, no, no... I have no desire to get into the material certification business. I've got enough stress trying to specialize in everything-under-the-sun on the design side. There's a part of me that really doesn't want to know what they're using in the field.  Laws and sausage come to mind ;-) Seriously, though, when I spec A572 steel, I don't fret over getting the mill certs - I just like to make sure that the local steel distributors can get it before it goes on the drawing.

I'd like to get some better insight on the process, though, and probably will get a set of docs for grading so that I can talk semi-intelligently about it.  I'm mostly interested in making sure builders can get what I specify - and if that means graded lumber, they'd better be able to get it graded without spending a fortune or roaming the earth for  a certified inspector.  Also, I'd like to be able to point the building inspectors in the right direction when they have questions.  I'm one of the few structural engineers in private practice in my area, so I get questions about everything from everybody, including most of the local inspectors. I don't mind not being able to answer a question, but I really hate not knowing where to go to get the answer.

Jordan

Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Jordan:

Maybe you can send 2-4 pieces of 2 foot long material to a wood testing agency to give you strength and other characteristics. That should ease the sleepless nights.

Save a sample for yourself for future reference.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA