Re: Lumber grading from small mills

Scott Maxwell wrote:

Jordan,

You can certainly go shell out some $$$ to buy various grading rule books
since I know how much extra cash you got clogging up your pockets!!!
<grin>

You know me so well...sometimes I can't find the keys in my pocket for all those benjamins I saved by skipping code additions ;-)

I forgot to ask - what do you use for design values if you don't get your timbers graded? I know that you have a close relationship with your timber framer, so you can be comfortable with what they're using. Do you have a "standard" for your design? For example, when you're building with Northern Crabapple, do you base your designs on the #4 Dense values in the NDS? Will you up your values to a higher grade if a high dollar client decides to have their frame built entirely from Clear Select Southern Dogwood?

I base my pine timbers on Eastern White No. 2, and make sure I'm not very close to 1.0 on my ratios, and logs on either the EWP2 I use for timbers or, more frequently, the ILBA tables.

Jordan