RE: Basement Walls (Slot Cuts )

Just be careful with unruly contractors who get carried away with excavation. I was called to a job site on New Year holiday with over excavated cuts (in the range 20’ long instead of the usual 5’-8’). A big mess that affected the neighboring property and structure. Careful monitoring of the excavation is critical with this method.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA

From: asqengg2(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:asqengg2(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 1:02 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Baement Walls (Slot Cuts )

I have an apartment building project with an underground parking. The contractor is planning to construct the basement walls in segments of 8 ft. (slot cuts). The walls are to be constructed using ABC method, i.e., pouring the A segment first then the B segment then the C portion of the wall alternately.  I don't see any problem with this although I would have preferred a one continuous pouring.

With the slot cuts method, initally I worry about the cold joints but since the basement wall is designed in vertical strip then I figured my worry is not justifiable.  Am I missing something?

I am anxious to hear for your input.

Thanks in advance.  I will appreciate it.

ASQuilalaJr., P.E.