-----Mensagem original-----
De: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2006 14:14
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Assunto: RE: ASTM A36

You are correct.  There are is no MINIMUM requirement for carbon in A 36

steel unless it is designated as a base plate and you don't want to
require
mechanical testing
.
RE: ASTM A36 Section 5.2
5.2 Unless otherwise specified, mechanical tests shall not be
required for plates over 11⁄2 in. [40 mm] in thickness used as
bearing plates in structures other than bridges, subject to the
requirement that they shall contain 0.20 to 0.33 % carbon by
heat analysis, that the chemical composition shall conform to
the requirements of Table 2 in phosphorus and sulfur content,
and that a sufficient discard shall be made to secure sound
plates.

Other than that there are only MAXIMUM limits on carbon.  In general the

carbon contents will be close to the maximum allowed to assure the
mechanical property requirements.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "Mario Velez Nauer" <mario.velez(--nospam--at)demagcranes.com.br>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: ASTM A36
>Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:44:50 -0200
>
>Dear Sirs
>
>We use in Brazil still a lot of steel plates/beams etc. made according
>ASTM A36.
>
>What is the admissive minimum Carbon content of this material ?.
>
>We have acquired recently the new edition of this standard, could not
find
>this information.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Best regards
>
>Mario Velez Nauer
>DEMAG CRANES & COMPONENTS LTDA
>*Telefone: 00 55 11  2145-7886
>*Telefax: (11)   4616-1371
>Cotia-SP-Brasil
>*e-mail: mario.velez(--nospam--at)demagcranes.com.br
>*site: www.demagcranes.com.br

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how