Re: Overturning Load Combination

Rich,

I assume that you are interested in the commentary for the IBC section on
the load combinations (section 1605.3.1...at least in the 2003 IBC).  If
so, then the commentary (I only have the 2003) only points to the
definitions in section 1602 and the equivalent section (and thus
commentary) in ASCE 7 (section 2.4.1 to be specific).

If you want me to look at the commentary for a different IBC (2003)
section, let me know and I will be happy to look at it and let you know.

Upon further looking (occupational hazard), I did find this statement in
the commentary to section 1609.1.3: "In the code this limitation on dead
load is accomplished through the load combination of Section 1605.3.1.
The applicable combination is 0.6D+W.  This load combination limits the
dead load resisting wind loads to 60 percent (2/3 = 0.67; round down) and
applies to all elements.  In this form, it is clear that the safety factor
on dead load applies to all actions where the dead load is assisting in
resisting wind loads."

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI