Re: SIP top plate detail

Joe,

BTW, you can also do "beam pockets" in SIPs.  This can be done where the
joist/beam just sits on the skin with or without a bearing plate.  Or it
can be done such that there is a panel joint at the location and a lumber
(either 2x, multiple 2x, or engineered lumber such as PSL or LVL) post can
be placed at the panel joint to support the beam load.  The later option
is generally needed if you get significant point loads.

What I would advise against is using a face-mount hanger.  In theory, it
could work, but you would need to talk to the hanger manufacturer to see
what capacity they would "allow" for their hanger being attached to OSB
(i.e. nail embeddment of only about 7/16").  It could work if the loads
are relatively light, but the lack of nail/screw embeddment does not
inspire "warm fuzzies".

In a similar vein, I am not a big fan of ledgers to SIPs unless you can
thru bolt it.  Some will use panel screws to attach a ledger to a SIP
(that then either the joist bears on or received a hanger - face mount or
top bearing), but that does not give me "warm fuzzies".  Not to mention
you now would have a ledger that likely would "want" to be concealled in
some manner, which may not be easy to do.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI