Re: 1950's era timber properties

That is what I have heard also, that you should check existing structures based on the new stress values.  It's not the wood that has changed, but the methods of testing.

Joe Grill
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: 1950's era timber properties

I would use the latest NDS values for checking the 8x14, assuming DF#1.  Methods of testing the properties of wood have changed over the years, and design values have changed based upon the testing. Sometimes the values go up, sometimes they go down.  In some cases, the previous testing methods were found to not be accurate, resulting in large changes in allowable design values, such as tension values for DF in the early 70's.

I would not evaluate a piece of lumber based upon older allowable design values given in previous building codes.

Maybe Buddy Showalter can provide additional information, especially regarding old growth wood versus new growth wood where trees are harvested after a relatively short growing period

Michael Cochran S.E.  SECB