Re: Preliminary sizing as per CAN/CSA-16-01

> From: Ritesh Patel <ritesh758(--nospam--at)yahoo.co.in>

> My question is regarding preliminary sizing of the beam-column as per
> CAN/CSA-16-01.
>
>   In the Canadian Handbook of Steel Construction, in the table 4-4,
>   different values of  Cf /# Cy (ratio) are given for different classes (1
>   to 3). For selection of columns, this ratio should be equal to 1.0. For
>   beams ( no axial compression) this ratio should be minimum. For
>   beam-column element again this ratio should approach to 1.0. Am I
>   correct ?

The Cf/(phi*Cy) ratio is intended to reduce the web class for BENDING in
Beam-Columns when there is axial loading (see Table 2 and Table 4-2).
The higher the ratio, the lower the web/section class for BENDING. As
the ratio approaches 1.0, you lose bending capacity in the beam
analysis. You do not want a web ratio approaching 1.0 for your
preliminary selection for a beam column.

There is no such web Class ratio for pure axial load. Table 1 provides
the upper limit for web width-thickness. Use Table 4-4 for limiting unit
stress at controlling KL/r or Table 4-7 for limiting unit stress at
Euler buckling load. Use the column tables in the GREEN pages if you
already know your factored axial load.

Regards
Paul

--